This year we chose to feature a brand close to our hometown. Empress 1908 Gin, is hand-crafted using eight signature botanicals; tea, juniper, rose, coriander seed, grapefruit peel, ginger root, cinnamon bark, and butterfly pea blossom.
Distilled in Victoria, British Colombia which is just a simple 9 hour drive from Sandpoint, Victoria is known for its picturesque views and landscape and they have ultimately bottled this up for the masses with Empress 1908 Gin.
This gin sets itself apart from the traditional, as it is micro-distilled in small batch copper-pot stills. It has a distinctive earthy note we love as well as that vivid violet hue. A stunning secret revealed via each sip, and when paired with citrus or tonic it changes to a beautiful soft pink.
Purple Basil Syrup:
- 1/4 Cup White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Purple Basil Leaves
- 1/2 Ounce Purple Basil Syrup
- 1 Ounce Lemon Juice Freshly Squeezed
- 4 Ounces Lemon Sparkling Water
- 2 Ounces Empress 1908 Gin
Add Basil Leaves and/or Flowers as garnish!
- First, make the purple basil syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar and water, and heat over medium until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add in the purple basil leaves, and remove the pan from heat. Allow mixture to cool, then remove basil leaves and pour into a glass jar to store.
- To make a cocktail, prepare a glass with some crushed ice. Mix together the basil syrup and lemon juice, and pour into a cup. Top with the sparkling water, and finish with the Empress 1908 Gin on top. Garnish with basil leaves and flowers, if desired, and serve immediately.
>> TRICK TO HELP THE GIN FLOAT PRIOR TO STIRRING: Get a spoon, flip over so the arch of the spoon is facing you and pour the measured gin over top to float on the top of the drink.
>> TIP: Add dry ice for a bubble effect sure to impress! 🙂
Be sure to leave your comments below!!!
When you think of a favorite summer cocktail you might stick to the same ole’ same, although this distinctive recipe might make you want to switch it up!