At the office we are always talking about food or sharing simple recipes and recently we all agreed that we love a good spring roll. Literally no mess, just a bowl of water for the rice paper wrapper and some chopping and then you are able to assemble. Not to mention FRESH, Organic and Gluten Free!
I always feel like my palette changes during this season from hearty bowls of chili to fresh veggies and light meals! It’s like my body is preparing for those beach days up ahead? EIther way this recipe is the golden ticket to a healthy family meal, amazing spring time party appetizer, or even just a simple weeknight dinner recipe!
One addition we have to push hard for you to make on the side is the Thai Peanut dipping sauce. If you want an added flavor to really bring these home we encourage you to check it out!!
SPRING ROLL INGREDIENTS:
- 1LB Boiled or Sauteed Shrimp
- 2 Cups – Purple Cabbage
- ½ bunch – Cilantro
- 1 Sliced Cucumber, Large (Costco has small snack size cucumbers that pack a great crunch)
- 1 Clove – Garlic
- 3 Whole Carrots or ¼ Cup Chopped
- ¼ Cup of Red Cabbage
- ¼ Cup of Butter or Romaine Lettuce
- (To save time buy a pre chopped salad kit)
- 2 Large – Jalepeno’s
- 12 Rice Papers
- RICE PAPER OPTION
- 2 Oz Basil
- 2 Oz Mint
First start by sauteing your Shrimp or protein with Salt and Pepper or boil based on your preference. We prefer the sauteed method for a bit more flavor. If you choose to go the route of chopping your ingredients (purple cabbage, cucumber, carrots) make sure you cut these length wise. ¼” by 3”, these sticks will fit perfectly within the wrap. Chiffonade your mint, basil and slice jalapenos.
Once your prepwork is completed make sure to get a bowl of room temperature water for your rice paper. Start with one, dip it into the water for 30 seconds, they soften as time progresses.
Start by laying the wet rice paper on a cutting board, add your veggies, jalapeno and protein and roll tight like a burrito via folding the corners in and tucking tight to the other side. Be sure to keep your fingers wet to make sure that they don’t break or stick to the paper while rolling!
* TIP – If you want some additional texture you can utilize rice noodles!
PEANUT SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
Literally this stuff is such a show stopper at all of the parties I have brought it too. Based on how thick or thin you make this it can be used for dipping or even a salad dressing!
- ½ Cup – Creamy Peanut Butter
- 2 TBL – Soy Sauce
- 2 TBL – Maple Syrup (We recommend real maple syrup. A bit more expensive but worth every penny. You can also use honey or any other sweetener you prefer).
- 1 TBL – Fresh Lime Juice
- 2 TBL – Fresh Cilantro (Use the rest from your spring rolls!)
- ½ Teaspoon Fresh Ground Ginger (You can also purchase GROUND GINGER PASTE to reduce prep time)
- ¼ Teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves of finely minced garlic
- ¼ Teaspoon hot sauce – we utilized Siracha
- ¼ Cup of Water depending on your preference for thickness
Add all of the ingredients except for water into a medium bowl or large measuring cup. Whisk together until desired consistency. We like our sauce a bit thicker for this recipe specifically because we wanted to use this as a dipping sauce. If you want to thin it out you can include more water later for dressing consistency.
With the sun shining and the snow finally gone (in town!) we are all about some fresh eats!